Have you heard a lot of buzz about “website templates” but don’t really know what they are? I’m here to break it down for you and help you determine if a template is the right investment for you!
What is a website template?
It’s a pre-designed website that provides a professional high-end look but allows you choose your colors, fonts, photos and copy (which means it stays true to you).
How much do they cost?
Depending on where you get them from and what kind of template they are (WordPress, Squarespace, Showit, etc.), they can range from $40-$1,000. For reference, a custom designed website usually costs between $2,000 and $10,000 depending on the experience and skill of the designer/agency and the size/functionality of the site.
Where can I get them?
You can get website templates from your website platform (Squarespace, Showit, Wix, etc.) or from a 3rd party such as http://CreativeMarketing.com. Designers often sell website templates on their own site as well.
I’ve never done this before. How do I know what to do?
Your template should come with step-by-step instructions on how to get started, but the gist is:
- Register your domain name (this is your www. address) through Google Domains, GoDaddy, etc.
- Find a webhosting service – which will keep you site live. A few popular options are Squarespace, Showit, GoDaddy and Bluehost.
- Find, download and install a website template (just follow the directions)!
- Replace generic content and logos with your own images and words.
- Install additional features like shopping carts, galleries, search engine optimization plugins, etc.There are also a TON of resources on Youtube!
Do I have to recreate my website once I install it?
It depends on where you are installing it, but if you use Squarespace or Showit, you will have to start the site over as a NEW site so be sure to save ALL of your content before you install anything to your website. The good thing is that choosing a template means any site building you do will be quick and easy.
How do I know a website template is right for me?
For many new business owners, they think a simple web presence is all that is needed. But choosing a template built by a designer gives you a more professional way to showcase your business without investing in a custom site. A template is a fast, easy, affordable way to get started and put your best foot forward.
To learn more or ask questions about the Be Bold Design Studio templates, contact me today!